Grilles

Messagepar willb » 18 Août 2019 09:06

Hi, I'm new to this Forum.
Which software program do you use to produce the chord grilles
willb

Re: Grilles

Messagepar vinzentt » 19 Août 2019 17:02

Hi Willb,

it's totally homemade, I made it a while ago.
Unfortunately, I don't have time anymore to improve it and it should be revamped from scratch as the whole site...
vinzentt
Administrateur - Site Admin

Messagepar willb » 20 Août 2019 09:44

Hi Vinzentt, I've started messing about with Sib files; with loads of teething troubles.
Once I get my head round how it really works and get the presentation right - I'll PM you with some samples
willb

Messagepar vinzentt » 20 Août 2019 13:25

Ok feel free to do so. You can also share the link of the leadsheet you just saved like this https://guitarejazzmanouche.com/grilles ... iew/11111/
vinzentt

Messagepar willb » 20 Août 2019 17:22

Cool, thanks
willb

Messagepar willb » 20 Août 2019 19:43

Hi Vinzentt

I have attempted to edit a grid and really struggled.
I am attaching an accurate PDF version; produced on Sibelius, of the chords from Django's 1937 version of Body and Soul.
This is a format I would prefer to use. The grid system here restricts some of the necessary information.
I'd like to what you think?

Cheers Will
Pièces jointes
Body and Soul - Full Score.pdf
(26.39 Kio) Téléchargé 285 fois
willb

Messagepar Paps » 21 Août 2019 13:39

I am not sure to know what causes you trouble to create in the tool of the forum. The fact that you cant have 9 and 5 alterations at the same time? That is the only issue I see, otherwise all your chords can be written with this tool.
And also the philosophy behind this tool (and charts in general) is to have a memo about the chord progression rather than having an accurate transcription of chords (which are dependent any way on the way you want to name them). So I would not obsess about trying to do something with a tool that is not appropriate with what you want to do. If you want an accurate transcription of whst Django plays, write it down in Sibelius or other scores not in a chart.
"Il faut porter en soi un chaos pour mettre au monde une étoile dansante."
Paps

Messagepar willb » 21 Août 2019 14:38

Thanks Paps.
The main problem I was having was with the half-bar chord and bass notes eg. Bb7/G# - Eb/G - Db9/F#. Also I had the diminished sign disappear altogether. The only issues encountered was when I was splitting the bar.
willb

Messagepar vinzentt » 21 Août 2019 17:01

Yes totally agree with Paps concerning the role of the charts here and in general. The idea is to have an efficient reading while playing, so the less symbols the better.

Willb I would recomend to start from an empty grille https://guitarejazzmanouche.com/grilles/add/ and to save it regularly while editing.

To split a bar, first select an empty bar, then split it (Diviser) and after that you can start to put the chords in. Sometimes, when the chords are too complex, the last symbol can disapear but it's quite rare and very hard to prevent, so I would recomend to simplify the chord.

Good luck willb, this tool is not very user friendly as you noticed but I made it very fast, maybe too fast.
vinzentt

Messagepar Paps » 21 Août 2019 19:30

But to be honest, I dont think it is an issue with the tool of Vinzentt. Sure you could put all the information you want in the chart (with the bass and alterations) but it will start to be hard to read. I know, I tried to do it for some ballads and I am not super happy with the results, it is too clumsy (you can see them on the https://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/ website). My option would be to have a simple chart and additional indications in the margins, or at the bottom (like chrom. desc. from G, bar XX to YY)
"Il faut porter en soi un chaos pour mettre au monde une étoile dansante."
Paps

Messagepar willb » 22 Août 2019 08:56

Thanks guys, I will persevere
willb

Messagepar Groucho » 23 Août 2019 07:54

Have you tried IReal Pro?
Groucho

Messagepar willb » 25 Août 2019 15:29